In response to one too many Ocala bashing bumper stickers, allow me to introduce Ocala Rocks, a blog born out of love for my hometown and the people who make it ROCK. Here, I hope to share with you the people, places, events, attractions, businesses and everyday sweet nothings that make Ocala and the Marion county area a great place to live. I welcome information on people, places, events and yes even the sweet nothings (stay tuned for examples of what I consider a sweet nothing) that make Ocala great. About myself, I am a "30 something" money saving mom of 3 married to the love of my life and fellow Ocala native for almost 16 years. As a family we enjoy the outdoors, water sports, camping, entertaining, traveling, home improvement projects, and photography. Individually "Ocalimom" enjoys scrapbooking, papercrafts and throwing parties while "Ocalidad" likes model airplanes, motorcycles and most anything technology related. And in case you are wondering I am not ignorant of the current economic situation and joblessness our area is currently enduring however, I am a "glass half full" kind of girl and truly believe if you don't like Ocala, move to Orlando or get off your butt and make some lemonade out those "Ocala Sucks" lemons you've been sucking on! Enough Said!

Monday, November 15, 2010

So what is a "Sweet Nothing" on Ocala Rocks

As I was introducing you to my brand new blog I listed several ways I planned on recognizing the many ways Ocala and "Ocalians" Rock.  One item, which I promised to explain later, was a "Sweet Nothing".  A "Sweet Nothing" can be a random act of kindness.  It can be one Ocala citizen going out of their way for the good of others or to better the community.  It's a little something that reinforces the belief that there are good people in the world and many of them live right here in Ocala. 

Months ago, when I first decided that someone (possibly me) should be blogging about the positive in Ocala I saw my first "Sweet Nothing".  While traveling through the newly completed intersection of 301 and 484 I noticed what looked like a yard sale sign in the grass median.  As I came to a stop at the light I realized that it actually read "To the person who helped me with my truck THANK YOU for your help".  My heart was warmed when I realized that not only had some good Samaritan taken the time to help a stranger but that the stranger could not let the good deed go unnoticed.  One person sacrificing and another recognizing the act of kindness.  How have you shown kindness to another today?  I challenge you to be a sweet nothing in another's life today.

No comments:

Post a Comment